The name of the Britannia Sewing Machine Co was changed to The Britannia Co.
c.1880 Commenced producing a gas engine.
1880s Started production of larger industrial lathes. Some particularly large ones were produced by it for James Paxman's business at Hythe Hill. They also manufactured treadle operated drills for dentists.
1882 Advertising lathes 
1892 Agents for Roots engines
1895 Producing engines under the Facile licence rated at singles (1-20 bhp) and twins (24-40 bhp)
1889 Lukin Lathe - an ornamental lathe. 
1891 Released a catalogue of their lathes. 
1893 Built some oil engines which were exhibited at the Royal Show.
1894 June. Took part in the Royal Agricultural Society’s Competitive Trial of Oil Engines with 7 bhp Root's patent. Article in ‘The Engineer’. 
1894 June. Royal Agricultural Society's Show. Oil engines and combines with lathe and pump. 
By 1898 Thomas Bear was a sick man and James Paxman made a bid for his business but this proved unsuccessful.
1900 Details and illustration of a Boiler Flue Drilling Machine. 
1903 Introduced a new safety oil engine under the Nicholson patent
By the early years of the 20th century the firm was in difficulties.
1903 the business was bought by the Nicholson brothers, Victor, Hugh and Percy, who changed its name to The Britannia Engineering Co Ltd.
Produced by The Britannia Sewing machine Company, Colchester, England, this highly ornate treadle is one of the UK's most collectable combinations. The machine head is based on the commonly copied Wheeler Wilson rotary shuttle type. This model was manufactured for several years from the late 1860s.
collection - London Sewing Machine Museum (www.sewantique